This event made a considerable amount of money for HSBS 29th March 2019 HSBS commemorates Newby Hall Disaster

On 29th March at Thirsk Race course a dinner was held to commemorate The Newby Ferry Disaster.  Please read below.

Photos of the evening

The Newby Hall Ferry Disaster, 1869

 In February, 1869, a tragic accident claimed the lives of James Warriner, the gardener of Newby Hall near Boroughbridge in Yorkshire and his son Christopher Warriner, along with four prominent members of the York and Ainsty hunt. 

The other victims were, top to bottom in the following images, master of the hounds, Sir Charles Slingsby of Scriven Park near Knaresborough; Edward Lloyd of Lingcroft Lodge near York; Edmund Robinson of Thorpe Green and William Orvys, the kennel huntsman of Acomb and the hunt’s whipper-in for the day. 
The hunt got under way at eleven o’clock at Stainley House near Harrogate.  A short while later some hunters and horses chased a fox across a ford over the river, while the people who died, along with survivors of the resulting tragedy, headed for a ferry boat almost directly opposite Newby Hall.   James and Christopher Warriner from Skelton-on-Ure were in charge of the boat used that day to transport huntsmen and horses across the river Ure near Ripley.
Sir Charles Slingsby and his horse darted first into the boat, followed just as inelegantly by twice as many occupants as the boat was designed to carry.  Encumbered by a fast moving current and river swollen by heavy rain, the group made for the other side.  
About one third of the way across Sir Charles Slingsby’s horse kicked the mount belonging to Sir George Wombwell.  Wombwell’s horse returned the kick and caused other horses to panic and thrash around and lose their balance.  
The violent motion caused the boat to overturn, throwing its occupants into the water where the six men and eight horses died and some of the strongest swimmers escaped or were saved by spectators on the river banks.
Of the six men who died, only Charles Slingsby was seen to emerge from the water and begin swimming to safety, only to give up a short distance from the river bank. 
An inquest returned a verdict of accidental death.